Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never prior to have numerous brand-new methods and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to minimize or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be fooled by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has actually done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. Exactly what a doctor doesn't know can harm you.
4. Ask for info on your physician's my response LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician will not inform you, find another one. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what procedures are taken to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. You're not purchasing a cars and truck; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many individuals, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has enhanced the eyesight of millions of individuals worldwide.